Dubai is a global tourist destination, but to most jobless Kenyans, it is a city of endless job opportunities.
For example, Dubai’s hospitality industry always needs cleaners, drivers, concierges, waiters, waitresses, etc.
The jobs are lucrative, allowing Kenyans to earn over 30,000 per month.
Many Kenyans have turned their lives around and amassed wealth by working in Dubai and other Middle East countries.
If you are considering joining other Kenyan workers in Dubai to earn a living, you will find this guide informative on how to go about it.
Types of Jobs Available in Dubai for Kenyan Citizens
Before delving into how to get a job in Dubai, how about familiarizing yourself with the types of jobs to expect?
If you are looking forward to working in Dubai, there are plenty of casual and professional careers to apply for.
Below are the kind of jobs to expect but are not limited to:
- Security Guards
- House helps
- Mall/Supermarket Attendants
- Swimming Pool Instructors
- Sales Manager
- IT Administrators
- Sales Managers
- Marketing Managers
Requirements for Getting a Job in Dubai as a Kenyan Citizen
You will need to meet specific requirements for eligibility to work in Dubai.
There are main requirements that apply to all job seekers, which are as follows:
- You must be a Kenyan citizen
- You must be 18 years old and above and a holder of a national identity card.
- One must have completed high school and have a KCSE Certificate and other college or University academic certificates, if applicable.
- One must have a valid Kenyan passport.
- One must be fluent in English, oral and written. Mastery of a foreign like French, Spain, or Portuguese is an added advantage.
- One should have a medical certificate, proof of no underlying medical conditions
- Your employer will obtain a work permit on your behalf
How to Find Job Opportunities in Dubai from Kenya
There are several ways to find job opportunities in Dubai, while in Kenya, the most prominent one is through recruitment agencies.
Below are proven ways of finding employment in Dubai:
- Through Kenyan recruitment agencies. Find reputable recruitment agencies that have met legal and operational requirements from the Ministry of Labor and other government regulating bodies. You will find a section below listing reliable Dubai recruitment agencies.
- Through professional networking platforms like LinkedIn. LinkedIn is an excellent platform for finding job openings from registered Dubai recruitment agencies, companies, businesses, etc. Create your account, mention your qualifications, and optimize your profile to receive Dubai job notifications.
- Visit Dubai using a 3-month visa, find accommodation, and start looking for jobs.
- By registering on Dubai government and private job portals and applying for jobs open to foreigners.
- Through online UAE career fairs where participating in such increases your chances of landing Dubai jobs through networking.
Average Salary for Kenyan Citizens Working in Dubai
The average salary of Kenyans who work in Dubai is 24,000, according to Glassdoor.
The figure may seem low because most Kenyans working in Dubai do casual jobs that pay between Ksh. 20,000-30,000 per month.
However, you can earn more than the average salary depending on your academic qualifications and industry experience.
The Process for Obtaining a Work Visa for Dubai as a Kenyan Citizen
You can obtain a work visa for Dubai in Kenya by applying online or visiting the UAE Embassy on Nyerere Road, Nairobi, for an application form.
- By Visiting the UAE Embassy: pick the form, fill in all details, attach relevant copies, and submit. Bear in mind that application fees will apply. Wait for the application review, and if successful, your visa will be processed within 14 days, and you will be notified when to pick it up.
- By visiting the UAE website: access the visa application form, upload requested documents, and pay application fees. You will be asked to book an appointment for an interview, and upon qualifying, you will pay for the processing and pick up your ready visa at a later date.
Note that you can rely on a recruitment agency to process the work Visa on your behalf at a fee, but you have to show up in person for an interview.
List of organizations that can assist with finding a job in Dubai from Kenya
Below is a list of workforce placement agencies in Kenya that can help you to secure a job in Dubai:
How much does it cost to move from Kenya to Dubai for a job?
The total amount of moving to Dubai from Kenya may cost you between Ksh. 150,000-300,000.
The expenses incurred include visa application and processing fees, recruitment agency fees if applicable, medical records processing, and other relevant costs.
Are there any cultural differences I should know when working in Dubai as a Kenyan citizen?
Yes, there are several cultural differences you should know about before leaving for Dubai.
For example, most Dubai employers expect non-Muslim women workers to cover up their heads and wear long attires.
Another cultural difference is food, where you may find several varieties you are not used to but will get used to with time.
Additionally, non-Muslims may discover the Arabic language in Dubai intimidating, but it can be mastered slowly as time goes by.