While Farmers Choice rears its own pigs, it’s not enough to meet the huge demand for its fresh pork and pork products like sausages, bacon and ham.
So, it buys 70% of its pigs from farmers across the country.
On average, the company slaughters approximately 400 pigs per day.
Why Sell your pigs to Farmers Choice?
The good thing about selling your pigs to Farmer’s Choice Ltd is prompt payment, or as they put it, “by the nose.”
Payment is made right away once the pigs are brought and butchered.
If you self-deliver, they pay for your travel costs per pig based on how far your farm is from their slaughterhouse in Kahawa West.
How does Farmers Choice Kenya determine the price of pigs?
When you are contracted to sell pigs to Farmers Choice, you notify them when your pigs are ready.
The company will either send a team to your farm to buy the pigs or allow you to deliver them to their slaughterhouse.
Farmers Choice buys pigs for Sh147 per kilogram.
The price of the pigs is calculated per kilogram and is based on dead weights or cold-dressed weights.
How Is Dead Dressed Weight Calculated?
Farmers Choice gets the dead weight of a pig by taking the live weight and multiplying it by 0.27 and then multiplying the result by the amount it offers per kg (Ksh 147 per kg).
For example, if your pig’s living weight is 90 kg, here is how much it will be calculated:
So, the cost of your pig’s dead weight will be Ksh 8, 505.
What are the terms and conditions for buying pigs from Farmers Choice Kenya?
For Farmers choice to buy your pigs, you must meet the following conditions:
- The pigs should be delivered to the buyer’s premises at the agreed-upon time (before 6 pm)
- The pigs will be delivered to the buyer’s premises in a healthy and well-nourished condition.
- The pigs should be free of any parasites or other diseases and should originate from a disease-free location.
- The pig should be 7 to 8 months old and should weigh between 80 and 100 kg when alive.
- All the male pigs must be castrated
- The prices of pigs will be based on dead weight or cold-dressed weight.
- The pigs should not be entire boars.