Kenya produces a huge number of graduates each year who need career exposure in preparation to join the competitive job market.
There are many private and public corporations and institutions offering internship opportunities in Kenya, and KPLC is one of them.
The giant profit-oriented corporation owned by the government (50.1%) and the private sector (49.9%) advertises internship opportunities every year, seeking to onboard fresh Certificate, Diploma, and Degree graduates and equip them with employability skills.
KPLC has several departments that absorb interns for three months.
Joining KPLC as an intern is a process that starts with an internship application.
Continue reading for detailed information on KPLC vacancies, salary, the application process, and additional information.
KPLC Internship Vacancies
KPLC internship slots include technical and non-technical for degree and Diploma graduates.
KPLC accepts graduates who have studied the following courses but are not limited to:
- Information Communication Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Automotive/Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Human Resource
One should first register on the career portal to access the available opportunities and the application form.
Kenya Power Internship Requirements/Qualifications
Before applying for the available internship opportunities, ensure you meet the application requirements for eligibility.
The qualifications are simple and most graduates can meet them. The internship eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Applicants must have Kenyan citizenship
- Applicants must be available for the whole three-month internship duration
- Applicants must have graduated with a Diploma or Bachelor’s from an accredited Kenyan university or institution within a period not exceeding two years.
How to Apply for KPLC Internship Program
For internship consideration at KPLC, applicants must follow the application process to the letter.
Below ate guiding steps on how to go about it:
- Access the KPLC website and proceed to click on Career Opportunities under the Public Information tab
- The system will prompt you to register your profile in the career portal if you are a new applicant. If already registered, you will be prompted to log in using your username and password. If you have forgotten your password, click on forgotten password and follow the instructions to reset it
- When registering, you will receive a verification email. Click the link on the email to access the career page, then log in to access the internship application form
- Proceed to apply and fill in sections that do not have your profile details
- KPLC only contacts qualified candidates
- Canvassing leads to disqualification
- Persons with disabilities and female graduates are encouraged to apply
KPLC internship applications run for a limited period, hence the need to keep checking the website and social media channels for adverts and act promptly.
It is also critical to bear in mind that KPLC internships attract several applicants, therefore, you should strive to meet all the requirements and follow application guidelines to increase your selection chances.
KPLC Internship Salary
Kenya Power pays its interns a monthly stipend to help them sort out some of their expenses like transport to and from their workstations.
The corporation has not made the internship salary public, but some sources report that the interns get a minimum of Ksh. 12,000 depending on the approved budget and the available internship opportunities.
The salary may not be up to your expectations, but it shouldn’t demoralize you from applying.
Instead, look at the bigger picture of the career foundation you will build.
Interns can earn a higher salary if they successfully apply for KPLC jobs and become full-time employees.
There is also a chance to be absorbed in KPLC if you perform well in your internship and exceed your senior’s expectations.
Joining KPLC as an intern is an excellent opportunity to gain professional exposure, so use the chance to learn as much as possible within the three months you will be there.
Once your internship is over, remember to keep visiting the company’s website for advertised positions.
Going through their internship program will increase your chances of becoming a KPLC employee or related companies like KenGen and KETRACO.
More importantly, keep updating your profile on the career portal for experiences gained after the internship.