A court assistant is an employer of the Judicial Service Commission.
The court assistant position attracts many applicants because it has simple qualifications that most Kenyans can meet.
Court assistants are also well remunerated hence the high number of applicants.
The recent JSC recruitment of court assistants 2 received 57,000 applications, but only 11,000 were shortlisted for the interviews. JSC only had 500 open positions.
Also worth noting is that the court assistant job is permanent and pensionable.
So, how much are court assistants paid to attract such vast numbers of applicants?
Also, which roles do they play that warrant good pay?
Let’s first start by understanding who a court assistant is.
Who is a Court Assistant 2?
A court assistant 2 operates court registries in a court station. They also assist judicial officers in dispensing justice in courts. Other responsibilities include:
- Preparing court documents
- Assisting public members to access court services
- Verifying and filing pleadings
- Collecting court fines and fees
- Interpreting proceedings
- Issuing appeal numbers
- Recording mention and hearing dates for ongoing court cases
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the designated supervisor
Court Assistant 2 Salary and Allowances
The court assistant 2 position comes with a deserved monthly wage.
The job has a monthly gross salary scale of ksh61, 400 – 79,300. The gross salary is inclusive of allowances.
Additionally, the salary is not constant because some court assistants have more qualifications and experience than others.
The location also plays a part in determining the salary because the more populated the region served, the more the workload for the court assistant.
Court Assistant 2 Job Qualifications
The position has a few simple qualifications that most potential candidates easily meet. They are as follows:
- Minimum KCSE Mean Grade of C- or its equivalent (additional certificates place you at an advantage)
- Computer skills proficiency
- English and Kiswahili mastery
- Meet chapter 6 requirements of the constitution
To check available court assistant 2 posts and other positions you qualify for, visit https://www.jsc.go.ke/index.php/careers/.