Workouts usually involve dancing. Sometimes it’s vigorous and other times it is slow.
Nevertheless, dancing is one of many ways of developing one’s muscles in our bodies.
Twerking has become a global phenomenon. It is a popular dance move that involves shaking your hips and buttocks in a fast and rhythmic way.
You may have observed this with popular celebrities such as Nicki Minaj and Cardi B.
But did you know that twerking can also help you grow your glutes?
Well, whether you want to spice up your workout routine, impress your friends at the club, or just have some fun at home, twerking can be a great way to achieve your fitness and aesthetic goals.
How Twerking Works Your Glutes
Your glutes are one of the largest and strongest muscle groups in your body.
They consist of three muscles: the gluteus maximus, the gluteus medius, and the gluteus minimus.
These muscles are responsible for extending, rotating, and stabilizing your hips, as well as supporting your lower back and pelvis.
Twerking serves as a workout regimen that targets all three glute muscles, as well as your hamstrings, quads, calves, and core.
When you twerk, you are performing a series of hip extensions and rotations, which contract and relax your glute muscles repeatedly.
This creates a high-intensity workout that challenges your endurance, strength, and coordination.
According to Healthline, twerking can burn about 480 calories in an hour, depending on your intensity and technique. That’s equivalent to jogging for an hour at a moderate pace.
Twerking can also boost your metabolism, improve your blood circulation, and enhance your mood.
Best Twerking Techniques or Movements that Target the Glutes
Various twerking techniques can target the glutes and give better results. But as a beginner, you can try these two simple movements:
1. Squat and Shake Twerk
This method involves three workout techniques:
- Getting into a Squat Position: This is the most common way of twerking whereby you become low to the ground so that you are balanced easily while grounded. Maintain balance and avoid knee injury by putting them behind your legs wide open, with the feet turned down.
- Pop Your Booty Outward: Get into a position that looks like you are resting on a chair with the booty as the main attraction. Keep your knees bent with your hands on your hips, and make sure that your upper body is straight and looks forward. Looking at the ground may not help you twerk effectively. Lean forward approximately 45 degrees resting your weight on the toes for better results.
- Shake Your Booty Back and Forth: You can choose to put your hands on the hips while twerking or lift them straight out in front, close together and parallel to the ground.
2. Doing the Wall Twerk
You can do the Wall twerk method in three different ways like standing about two feet away from a sturdy wall even though it is not for amateurs.
You can also try the method by putting your hands on the floor with your legs on the wall. Make sure that you have a strong grip on the floor to avoid injuries. Your booty should be high in the air, and hands down about a foot in front of your feet.
Lastly, you can walk your feet up the wall and bend your knees as you shake your body.
How Long Should You Twerk to See Results in Glutes Development?
The time it takes to achieve the best results depends on the individual’s approach and endurance.
For instance, while it might take months to see results, sometimes understanding the role of twerking in glute development beforehand can speed up your success.
Regardless of the twerking approach you pick, achieving maximum results requires consistency and adherence to specific twerking guidelines.
Therefore, while it is recommended to twerk 2 to 3 times per week, following these tips can help grow your glutes effectively:
- Warm up your muscles and joints before you start twerking. This will prevent injuries and prepare your body for intense movements.
- Start with the basic moves if you are new to twerking. You can watch online tutorials on TikTok, YouTube, and Instagram, or join a twerk class to learn the proper techniques and rhythms.
- Spice it up by adding some variations to make your twerking more challenging and fun. You can try different speeds, directions, levels, angles, and styles of twerking. You can also use props like a wall or a chair to support yourself or add resistance.
- Like any other exercise, be consistent and aim at least three times a week for 20 to 30 minutes each session. You can also combine twerking with other exercises that target your glutes, such as squats, lunges, bridges, and donkey kicks.
- Have fun. Twerking is not only a great workout for your glutes but also a fun way to express yourself and enjoy music. Don’t be afraid to let loose and have fun while twerking. You can twerk alone or with friends, and with any twerking anthem that makes you feel good.
Safety Precautions Associated with Twerking for Glutes Growth
Most people look at twerking as a simple exercise but end up with injuries and funny looks.
Some people teach twerking or are appropriating twerk, but have no idea of its basis.
Thus, if you want to be safe, start with the basic moves, find at least eight twerk moves that you like, and continue to work with them.
Also, wear the right clothes and find twerk experts that look like you and imitate them.
Twerking is more than just a dance move; it’s also a powerful exercise that can help you grow your glutes.
By following the tips above, you can make your twerking more effective and fun for your fitness and aesthetic goals.
Remember that growing your glutes takes time and effort, so be patient and consistent with your twerking routine. You will soon notice the difference in your glute size, strength, and shape.
So, what are you waiting for? Grab your favorite playlist, put on some comfortable clothes, and start twerking your way to bigger and stronger glutes!