The Kenya Forestry Research Institute (KEFRI) is a State Corporation mandated to conduct forestry research to improve forest productivity and diversity.
Like most State corporations, KEFRI has an annual internship intake that fresh graduates can take advantage of in readiness to conquer the career world.
As an interested intern, you may not know how to apply for KEFRI internships or where to get their application form.
This guide will answer all your unanswered questions regarding KEFRI internships, so make sure to read up to the last sentence.
Available Internship Opportunities at KEFRI
KEFRI helps groom young graduates for employability by providing an environment that mimics the real workplace.
At the end of the internship, graduates can walk out of the KEFRI premises with the confidence to conquer the career world.
Among the disciplines accepted for an internship at the parastatal include:
- Applied Science/Biology
- Analytical Chemistry
- Information Communication Technology
- Hospitality Sciences
- Business Courses
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Other disciplines as stipulated.
Graduates can apply for internships in various KEFRI centers based on the availability of internship slots.
The internship period runs for six months, after which the graduates are expected to vacate the KEFRI premises to create space for other incoming graduates.
However, KEFRI makes exemptions by renewing the internship for interns who record exemplary performance during the six months.
Interns can also extend their stay at KEFRI by applying for available positions that will make them permanent employees at the corporation.
KEFRI also encourages MSc and Ph.D. students to apply for research internships to get mentorship from its senior professionals.
However, the MSc and Ph.D. students should come from universities with an MOU with KEFRI, and should Aldo have attained a minimum of Upper Second Class Honors for their first Degrees.
KEFRI Internship Requirements
One must possess some qualifications for internship eligibility at KEFRI. The internship conditions are as follows:
- Applicants must be below 35 years old
- Applicants should be ready to apply for personal accident coverage from a recommended insurance company.
- Should have a letter of recommendation from a recognized university’s administration
- Interns are also expected to make monthly NHIF contributions for six months.
- Applicants should be available for the whole internship without taking breaks.
- Applicants should be ready to get posted in any KEFRI center (can be at the headquarters, regional, or sub-centers)
- Interns are to submit an internship report to KEFRI’s HR upon the end of the internship on lessons learned, observations, challenges, and recommendations.
- Computer proficiency is an added advantage.
- One should also have excellent communication, analytical, and managerial skills.
- KEFRI encourages persons with disability to apply
KEFRI Internship Salary
Interns at KEFRI receive a monthly stipend whereby the rates depend on available funds and the number of interns in total.
KEFRI interns reportedly earn Ksh. 22,000-35,000 each month.
The stipends enable interns to cover transport, food, and accommodation expenses.
KEFRI Internship Application Process
Being an equal opportunities provider, KEFRI invites recently graduated students to apply for internships.
The application is free of charge, and anyone asking for some form of payment to process the application should be reported.
You need to access KEFRI’s website to apply for an internship.
The application form should be properly filled out, and the necessary documents attached for applicants to secure an internship.
Applicants should also strive to submit their applications before the deadline.
KEFRI only accepts applications sent up to the deadline.
Canvassing is a crime, and any suspicions result in an automatic disqualification.
The selection process kicks off after the application deadline.
KEFRI only contacts shortlisted interns, who are issued with an interview date.
The interview involves oral and written tests that you should pass for an internship since internship posts attract many applicants.
The next step involves welcoming successful candidates to KEFRI through an induction program to familiarize themselves with the ongoing of the corporate.
Interns should note that KEFRI can terminate internships for candidates with unsatisfactory performance.